LumberJocks

004: cheap, rolling lathe stand

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Gary Fixler updated 03-06-2010 12:06 AM 5 parts 21771 reads 51 comments total

Part 1: box frames, wheels, and a height change

01-20-2010 02:08 PM by Gary Fixler | 6 comments »

In early December, a little more than a week before I flew home, I decided to make mom a cutting board. However, the garage was a mess. I spent some time figuring out what I could attack, cleaning off the back table to use for flattening the board after the glue-up, building the router sled and rails to perform the flattening, and as a slipped-in, totally unrelated side project, I built a quickie rolling lathe stand on the cheap, as I’m still looking for work. When I say “on the c...

Read this entry »


Part 2: the drawer carcass

01-21-2010 07:00 PM by Gary Fixler | 5 comments »

With my new rolling lathe stand rolling and standing well, it was time for some drawers. This was also a great opportunity to start using up some of that huge pile of free, scrap alder I got 6 months ago. I hadn’t used any prior to this, and while the smell of the lumber and dust when I picked it up brought me back to my childhood – they made me vividly recall toys and painting easels from my kindergarten – cutting it fresh smelled sweet, and reminded me a lot of something l...

Read this entry »


Part 3: drawers from scrap material

01-30-2010 11:25 PM by Gary Fixler | 5 comments »

In keeping with the “don’t spend anything” ethic of this piece, I found some scrap 1/2” boards. Two were longer scraps of baltic birch ply, but there was only enough with the long grain for the 2 sides of each drawer. I had a stack of scraps of the same stuff but with the grain running across the width, so I cut 2 of those down for the backs. The fronts I made from scrap 1/2” construction grade ply. The drawer fronts would cover those up. The bottoms are 1/8̶...

Read this entry »


Part 4: installing the drawers

02-06-2010 03:22 PM by Gary Fixler | 15 comments »

When I last left off, I showed the dovetail slides, but they didn’t have a good way yet of attaching to the drawers, and weren’t in the drawer carcase yet. That reminds me. Here’s the carcase installed: I cut a piece of scrap ply to fit on the top and tacked it on with small, set nails – lots of ‘em :) And now for another rambling video on how I finished up the drawer slides: This was the glue-up on the drawer blocks: Adding walnut pegs thro...

Read this entry »


Part 5: dust hood mount solution

03-06-2010 12:06 AM by Gary Fixler | 20 comments »

This one’s been in the works for awhile, and by that I mean I’ve pondered it in my head for a few minutes here and there over the last several months. I’ve had the general idea most of that time, but this week I pondered even harder than ever and imagined all of the pieces. I just wanted something simple that could hold one of the two dust hoods I’ve ended up with from Rockler, but I wanted to be able to tilt it forward over the piece, or backward out of the way, an...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase