As a home hobbyist in a big city, not working as much in BF as in “oh look, a log!” I decided to keep things simple on myself and go with KD DF for stickering my slabs. I have a bunch of really old, really dry stuff, and in fact tried to build some finger-jointed frames for another project I’d like to post about someday, but dropping one only a foot to the ground caused all 4 corners to shatter. It’s that dry. I figure that means it’ll be fairly inert, though who knows what the moisture in the slabs will reactivate. Only one way to find out!
Here’s a video I edited together of how I spit out a bunch of 1”×1”×9” stickers on my band saw. I used the table pin as a stop for the right edge of the fence, which it turns out sets it to about exactly an inch away, and the table edge itself for cross cuts, which is about exactly 9” from the blade. With all of this built into the machine, it’s all super repeatable later, with no thought or set up times. That’ll encourage me to make more stickers any old time I have a minute, and I’m going to need a lot more,
This is what I’ve been wanting to avoid. See all the mismatched 2×2s, plywood scraps, poplar pieces, and whatever else I had lying in piles being used here as stickers? The new pile on the front of the saw is the big stack of new, uniform, glue-free, totally dry stickers, ready to go.
Btw, these are European olive (Olea europaea) at back left, Indian laurel fig, AKA Green Bay laurel, AKA Cuban laurel, AKA Chinese banyan (Ficus microcarpa “nitida”) in the center, and a little log of Australian cheesewood, AKA Victorian box (Pittosporum undulatum) in the front left. The stickers, of course, are kiln-dried Douglas fir, and maybe some ancient pine.
I watched for screws, and found 1, and staples, and found many in the ends where the price stickers were stapled in, and got all of them out as I went. Here are the crappy, hole-ridden or finger-jointed ends from a bunch on the band saw table, and on the floor behind it.
And here’s all the new scrap I made cutting all the 2×2 scraps down to 1×1. As 2×2 in the US really means 1.5×1.5, and the saw kerf is about 1/16”, these are all in the 7/16” thick range. Firewood, I’m guessing. Check out my right shoe, only a few hours before it got covered in Anchorseal. Oh, now I’ve made myself sad again.
This is what I’ve been wanting to see – my log racks filling up with stacked and stickered lumber. It’s even less room than I’d hoped, unfortunately.
I can put about 6 of these setups in one section (of 4 shelves), on one shelf. That means roughly 24 logs per section, with 2 sections currently open, or 48 logs total. The bottom shelf is the tallest, probably good for the thicker logs, and they get smaller going up, so these won’t fit on the next shelf up, nor the top one. Not a whole lot of room!
Of course, I won’t slab everything. I’m going to be making pen, bottle stopper, dish, bowl, and other size turning blanks. I think I’m going to end up with some tall stacks out on the patio, though I’ll need to set up to block the rain, and to guard against earthquakes with something to stabilize them from above. For now, I can slab nearly 50 logs, which is a good start.
-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator