I’ve renamed my 5 preexisting project series from “project: whatever” to “00n: whatever” where n is the number of the set of posts in order. E.g. instead of “project: a rolling base for my planer,” that was the second project series I made, so now it’s “002: a rolling base for my planer.” The projects were starting to scatter in my series list, and I’d have a few series listed at the top in the drop-down for new posts, then an out-of-order set of posts that began with “project:,” and then more randomly named series below those. This change alphabetically stacks and keeps in order the project posts at the top of that list. I like organization.
Anyway, no going back now. I’ve cut the wood block into 6 2” thick chunks:
It will be the end-grain board previsualized in my previous post in this series. You’ll note some severe burning of the [crooked] cuts from my dull band saw blade. I’m holding off on buying any new $40+ blades for now, and with just the one, I don’t really want to wait for sharpening. I did buy a diamond wheel and chainsaw bit for my Dremel, and I’m considering some frontier sharpening on the blade. I’ve seen someone online have some success this way, and he posted a YouTube video on how to achieve his results. Anyway, here are the 2” thick pieces laid out to get a sense of the final board:
Glue-ups were a little bit of a pain. It was very hard to clamp without them sliding out of perfect alignment. I solved this and made the arduous task a lot simpler with some C clamps which held the face I wanted flush perfectly so:
First pieces glued-up:
Gluing 2 of the chunks together:
Final clamping, front and back:
All glued up and ugly:
There are some real discrepancies in thickness, but overall there’s at least a 1.75” thick, flat cutting board hiding in here:
I had wanted the darker wood bordering the long edges, as seen in the back left board here:
However, the long grain wood on the board edges was really drab in real life, so I went with the board design in the front left. I don’t like the band through the middle as much, but the streak running up the center of the plank that made up what are now the outside faces adds a vertical dark stripe repeated 3x on each long face, which I think enhances the visual interest. Too, the drab face had some checks in it, and I didn’t want them showing on the outside edges of the cutting board.
Tomorrow I’ll set up my router bridge and flatten the front and back, removing the dark burn marks from the dull band saw blade, then use the table saw and maybe the jointer to get the edges to 90° and pretty. Then I can round over the sides and corners.
I’m eager to see if this mess will look pretty in the end:
I think I want to put some recesses under the short sides to make it easier to pick up the board. It is quite a chunky little thing!
-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator