This one’s been in the works for awhile, and by that I mean I’ve pondered it in my head for a few minutes here and there over the last several months. I’ve had the general idea most of that time, but this week I pondered even harder than ever and imagined all of the pieces.
I just wanted something simple that could hold one of the two dust hoods I’ve ended up with from Rockler, but I wanted to be able to tilt it forward over the piece, or backward out of the way, and slide it left and right, as my lathe is longer than the hood. Note that this isn’t for collecting the chips right off the turning. I’ll just sweep those up later. My DC isn’t that powerful. I just wanted something that would let me sand without filling my little 1-car garage in choking dust, especially the dreaded olive wood, to which I am pretty allergic. It’s like delicious poison to me with its captivating fragrance.
I didn’t take any pictures this time, but I will say this for the video makers out there – this is a lot of work! Just shooting little segments of each step, each about 10 seconds to 5 minutes in length – greatly slowed me down, amounted to more than 1.5 hours of footage in 11GB of space (my camera card is only 8GB – I rarely fill it), and took something like 5 hours to edit down the 91 clips into just over 200 cuts in the final film. Phwew.
I think I only didn’t use material from about 2 or 3 source clips. I was pretty clear on what I wanted to show as I worked.
-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator