All the pieces for both units were cut out at the same time, so there was another waiting to be assembled. I spent some time today on that. Here it is next to the first one, waiting to be filled up:
I’ll have to find a new place to hang my roller stand, but that’s okay, as I’ve only been able to hang one of the two here on its over-the-rafters hooks. Right now it’s immediately in front of the new shelving:
I learned something interesting about French cleats tonight, too. All things identical, it’s possible things won’t hang to the same height. The dimensions of the side panels are exact, cut at the same time without moving the fence. They could be stood on a flat surface and remain flush at the high end. The cleats were cut from one long board and only the top one was separated for use on the individual units. The cleats were installed on the backs of the units while they were upside down on the saw table, cleats and units flush on the table and clamped together. Yet, here the new unit hangs about 1/8”+ lower.
My best guess is that the 7’ long cleat halves were not cut perfectly straight down the middle, or they received some warping when I lightly planed the cut a bit to remove some saw burn, or most probably, that there is some sag against the wall. The wall does have a lot of warp in it. It’s just old drywall. At any rate, I don’t mind. It’s not enough to upset me. This is just utility shelving. It would have been nice to see it drop in and line up dead flush at the front, but alas, it’s no matter:
Another shot of the slightly lower new (right) shelving unit:
Most of what’s left in the few small piles in the shop of scrap cutoffs is very small stuff – a few inches in each direction. I’m thinking something like a planter box – 2’ wide, maybe 8” in the other dimensions – is actually a better solution for that. I could decimate these piles by gluing up things to turn on the lathe. I’ll have to think about it some more.
You can see I’m already putting random light things like miter saws up on top of these things. I will also bring in some of the smaller scraps that have worked their way into the wood shed and put them in the new shelving, especially anything around 2’ long, as I have an abundance of longer space in the top shelves. I’m also not above adding some hooks under these to hang a few odds and ends.
It’s nice to have more than enough shelving for once (and… for now :). With the new unit, I have somewhere between 130BF (flush volume) and say, 160BF (with pieces sticking out the fronts) of new scrap wood storage space. As I’ve said before, however, my plan going forward is to use these like a display device, helping me to see immediately what ‘free’ wood I have available, and hopefully encouraging me to peruse them and think of ideas for the scraps, so I don’t so much wait around for a need as come up with ideas based on the scrap itself.
-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator