I have been searching for a tail vise to use on my upcoming roubo bench. After reading Chris S second workbench book I was interested in the tail vise he used on the solid cherry top bench. It was a quick release vise with a lever instead of a turn screw. Here is a picture;
After some searching around the internet I found this and bought it.
As you can see, it was a little beat up and rusty. I could just make out Massey no. 17 on the face. Doing a bit of research I found that this is a pretty old vise and apparently not a common one. It was hard to find any in depth information about it so if anyone has any I would be obliged. After getting it shipped to me I was happy that everything worked and there didn’t seem to be any damage besides a few saw kerf scars that gave it some character.
The next step was to get it cleaned up. I had read a little about electrolysis but have to admit I was afraid to try it. So after gaining a little more knowledge on how it worked I decided that this was the perfect project to use it on. I broke out the old battery charger and some Arm and Hammer washing soda. I already had a big plastic bin and a piece of flat steel to use as an anode. So after following the directions I read online and taking the vise apart I had it moving along pretty quickly.
I was really suprised at how well the electrolysis worked at getting basically everything off the vise. After it was complete I took a green scotchbright pad to it and rinsed it off in the deep sink. The next step was to prime and repaint the vise to keep the rust from coming back. I took about 4 days and tried to let the paint cure some before putting on the next coat. All in all, it turned out great IMO and I look forward to giving this vise another 40 or more years of life.
-- Rob, Dallas TX