LumberJocks

Roubo-ish work bench #3: Stretchers

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by galooticus posted 05-14-2017 04:18 PM 624 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Legs Part 3 of Roubo-ish work bench series Part 4: Leg Vise, Finishing Touches »

Ah, stretchers. These were made from douglas 4×4s—the B-stock pieces that didn’t make the cut when laminating the top. Compared to the leg-top tenons, this stage was a breeze.

As I mentioned in the last blog post, I ditched my old bench and am working entirely on the new bench from this point on. First things first, I put in a single dog hole so I could make use of a hold fast. This is the first time using anything other than irwin quick clamps for workholding. So much better! Anyway, these are just straight forward tenons, with a 3/4” shoulder on all four sides.

Here’s a shot from further back. Those shavings are only from squaring up the stretchers. My little amazon box I normally brush shavings into was totally outclassed. The legs are still a bit long; I’ll cut them down to height later. Right here the top is at 36”; my old bench stood at a proud 39”. I definitely like it lower, and plan to cut the legs down to 33-34”.

I took the top back off the legs, then cut the tenons by boring and paring, usual deal. I made the tenons as long as possible to combat the scourge that is racking. The short front-back stretchers had tenons about 2 1/2” long, and the long stretchers 4”. I forgot to take pictures of the mortises in progress. These tenons fit with little tuning and I was impressed with how square it was without any extra work.

Brag shot:

Next I took the leg/stretcher assembly and tried putting it on the top. After spending so much time tuning each leg-top tenon, this was easy. I was again impressed with myself when everything went together nice and square and without overly forcing things.

OK, glue time. I spent a lot of time working out the order in which to assemble and clamp everything for the best results. I found that doing the easiest order was to join the long stretchers into their legs first. This forms two sub-sub-assemblies which are then joined into one with the short stretchers. Before joining this to the top, I pulled everything together with clamps. I regret not getting a picture of it, but I joined two of my 50” parallel clamps together by clamping the ‘dumb’ ends using a pair of irwin quick grips. This setup was used to pull the long stretchers into the legs.

As can be seen in some of the earlier pictures, I experimented with using various bits of climbing gear to try and pull things together. This didn’t work out that well and I ended up improvising with only clamps.

For the live run, I had my wife help me through the process. She spread glue on the mortises and tenons and I fit things together. While I was fitting one joint, she would be gluing the next one. Then we lifted the leg-stretcher assembly onto the bench top and went for it. I pulled everything together with clamps and took a (impatient) break for a few days.

Forgot to mention, before putting everything together, I also bored mortises for holdfasts on one leg and a leg vise on the other. For the leg vise screw hole I got an expanding/adjusting auger bit. It worked well except for one thing: despite tightening it down as far as I could, the cutter expanded as I bored the hole! Luckily I was boring halfway each side, so it’s only wider in the middle, and on the second side I was more attentive and kept it in check.

OK, back upright. I was glad to have my bench back together. No more working on saw benches!

Time to pinch this one off. Next one will be the last: leg vise, dog holes, and finishing bits.

-- Andy in CA



2 comments so far

View theoldfart's profile

theoldfart

9200 posts in 2267 days


#1 posted 05-14-2017 08:06 PM

Your braver than I am. I didn’t flip the bench until I had the stretchers all fit. With a 4” oak top i was afraid that i’d break out the dovetailed tenons. Also flipping it by myself was a logistical treat. Precise workmanship seems to be your hallmark. Fun watching it come together.

-- "With every tool obtained, there is another that is needed" DonW ( Kevin )

View galooticus's profile

galooticus

50 posts in 717 days


#2 posted 05-15-2017 12:05 AM

I was pretty worried about the legs ripping out and ruining the top, but I wanted a better surface to work on. I want to say I recruited my wife to help with that too. Ended up being fine, and the bench was plenty solid without stretchers or glue. Some front-back racking, but nothing side to side.

-- Andy in CA

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com