Some time ago, I heard that you should be careful if you find a hundred dollar bill on the dresser, cause it means you got….
After dressing the oak, filling all the holes, and oiling it up, I went away to the beach for a week. I came back to find new holes. Crud.
I attempted to have it dried in an industrial oven at a low temperature, but unfortunately the results were disastrous. That happened over the summer, and I didn’t have the heart to write anything about it until now. The final solution was to use 2/6’s from a box retailer, married with some leftover hardwood I had laying about. Add in two face vises, and the result is pretty good. I”ll upload some detailed pictures at a later date, since this post is dedicated to my new Cabinet.
Last night I finally finished phase 1 of my tool cabinet. I took some ideas floated here at lumberjocks and mixed them around with my own to create this monster 4’ x 4’ organizational structure. Phase 2 will feature some drawers and inlet shelves in the bottom area. Stage 3 will be tool-bearing doors.
The sides and shelves are pine, the back basswood or linden. I reinforced the backboards with a piece of 1×4x4 maple, and the corners are reinforced with hardwood blocks top and bottom. I used some vintage 3/8th thick screws I picked up at a yardsale to hold it together. The whole thing is finished with some blond shellac.
Chopping and paring the space for the 5X5 brass hinges I found