I knew things were going too good. I had the undercarriage completed, and then I moved my pieces of 4X8 maple on top. The pieces that I bought last year for a decent sum. And then I found out how much they had warped over the winter. I guess the sawmill didn’t keep them in the solar kiln long enough. These things are bad… twisted and corkscrewed all to hell. I tried clamping them down to some beefy angle irons, but they were just bent too much over the course of their 9’ lengths.
So, new plan. I was just about to go to home depot and buy some 2×4’s and do a fir bench top just so I can get some use out of it, when I got super lucky. I found a contractor who was getting a lot of his lumber sawn up, and he had a 8 years dried-in-the-barn oak log. He said he was sick of looking at it and wanted it gone. I just had to reimburse him for the time on the sawmill. The lumber has been cleaning up pretty good. More bug holes than i usually care for, but both the contractor and saw mill operator assured me the infection was long dead. I haven’t seen any larva, and I coated all the oak liberally with kerosene just to be sure. After it dried, i gave a coat of BLO, and filled all the holes so i could keep track.
My 5$ flea market No. 5 hard at work.
Finishing edge jointing with my great-grandfather’s number 7.