I guess this section can be divided into major and minor issues. So here goes:
- ineffective use of wall space (16 linear feet of 24” tall slatwall for open tool storage pretty much gobbles up most of the wall space above both workbenches. I do like it throughout the shop for storing garden tools, etc.)
- very little enclosed storage (aside from the plywood storage cabinet on the rear wall, I don’t have any cabinets nor drawers, which leaves everything out in the open but easily accessible, for both hands and dust.)
- miter saw setup (with the plywood storage cabinet, I’m very limited in board length when doing crosscuts, and usually cut longer boards on my crosscut or panel sleds on the table saw.)
- fastener storage (I store various screws in recycled plastic bottles, all of which are different sizes and heights. I think I have 25 to 30 bottles and containers, maybe more, plus other stuff in plastic ice cream containers.)
- existing two 48” plywood shelves on the left side atop the 16 foot bench are rugged as hell, but take up too much space, as they are made from 2×4 and 3/4” plywood. They sit directly on the bench as well, which does have its limitations.)
- need to find storage for clamps (I sit them on the floor right now as I tend to use that particular pile when gluing up cutting boards. I did buy 8 new Bessey clamps as well recently, and will slowly acquire more.)
- wood storage (I have some wood storage brackets underneath the miter saw station, but also store wood below the 16 foot bench and behind the jointer, along the wall).
At present, I don’t have a dedicated dust collection system but am planning to install one next year, along with upgrading a few tools (table saw). So, for now, I use my trusty Ridgid shop vac and break out into all out cleaning fits as needed. I’ve recently upgraded to a newer General International 6” jointer and 13” planer with helical head. My shop has lots of 220v power.
Dust, dust, dust everywhere:
So, I did do some initial assessment and poked around at some easy fixes. First, I moved a bunch of crap upstairs that was taking up valuable floor space downstairs (half a box of vinyl siding, half a bundle of shingles, leftover pieces of plywood and OSB, eight winter wheels and tires, various seasonal items). Also, I moved some of the slatwall pieces further up on the exterior walls in order to free up space own underneath (rakes and shovels, ladder). I also moved a few pieces around to better consolidate those tools on the wall. So, all of that obviously helped, but now we need to do some additional organization and optimization. Stay tuned…
-- freddyaudiophile, Fredericton, NB, Canada