I posted a question in the forum section here two months ago asking what others did for organizing all their screws, hooks, etc. in their shops.
Some people suggested buying plastic bins, others said use jars or bags. I had a plan in a magazine full of shop storage and tool cabinets put out by the Woodsmith/Shop Notes people and so I decided to make my own.
Unfortunately I felt like one of Santa’s elves with the assembly line of parts. It seemed to take forever to make all the bins!
Here’s a quick tutorial of what I did.
The plan called for sides of the bins to be made out of hardboard. I saw some pre-finished one side with white (melamine?) covering that was only a few cents more than the plain stuff, so went with that. I figured the outsides of the bins could be white and look nice against my white walls of the shop.
I would make as many bins as I could using the hardboard for the sides which were 7 3/4” for the large bins and 3 3/4” for the smaller ones. I found I could get 19 small bins and 12 large ones out of my hardboard piece.
The side pieces came from strips of hardboard ripped the length of the bins. Then I used my mitre saw to angle the pieces.
For some reason I thought I was getting two mirror images for each side of one bin, but I really was getting two of the same piece. This would not matter if I had not bought the one-side finished hardboard. But, by the time I realized that I wasn’t getting a left and a right, I had cut half of them, so I ended up with some of the larger bins sides which would have the inside finished white. Not the original plan!
After removing my palm from my forehead I figured I would have to paint the outsides of the ones I had cut wrong. Crap.
The next step was to cut the bottoms and backs out of 1/2” plywood. The backs for the large and small bins are the same size, the bottoms are (of course) larger on the larger bins.
The fronts were cut from 3/4” pine, again the larger bins had larger fronts.
Next a rabbet was cut on the sides of the fronts. This would accept the hardboard sides, so was the width of the hardboard.
Another rabbet is cut on the bottom of the front to accept the bottom 1/2” plywood.
A dovetail bit was used to make a slot for holding a label, on the fronts of each bin. (The L shaped piece of wood is just a jig to help pushing the front pieces through the router)
All pieces were sanded and then it was time for assembly. The back plywood sits on top of the bottom piece, the front sits with the rabbet over the bottom plywood. Then the side goes on over that. I used glue as well as small nails to assemble these.
I had 31 of these to assemble, which took much longer than I thought it would. Please remind me in the future not to make 31 of anything.
I put a few coats of shellac on everything, which I find makes things shed off dust better and looks prettier.
Now, where to hang them? Initially I was going to put my bins on the cleats in my shop but I realized if I did that, because of the way they hang from rails, I would have to put the rails first on a backing of plywood or something similar, and then they would stick out further from the wall. So, I decided to take down part of one of my wall cleats and attach the bins rails directly to the wall.
That didn’t hurt too much!
The bins hang from rails that are 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” with a rabbet in the bottom back edge to hold the bins. I made four rails at 36” long. (Plus I made a bottom rail without a rabbet)
Each rail is screwed into the wall at the joists, with 4 5/8” between them, this is important because the bins actually sit on the rail below.
Now I have to fill them and make the labels. Hopefully this helps keep things organized.
Thanks for reading
...to be continued…
-- ~Julie~ followyourheartwoodworking.blogspot.ca