I’ve been in the process of reorganizing my shop (read: garage) so that i can actually make some stuff. previously, it was used to miscellaneous house repairs and projects on the hunny-do list. The first order of business was to build a potting bench for my wife in order to keep her and her dirt off my workbench. it’ll also give me a spot to put all the garden type items since they’re strewn all over the garage at the moment. Here’s the progress of said potting bench.
The bench is right when you walk in, so I cut the corner off so we don’t run into it. It’s made completely with remnants and leftovers so far. Even the cabinet on the left is leftover from a kitchen remodel (used to be our pantry).
I cut holes in the top, and put a bin underneath them to catch dirt and soil that might fall when potting. I didn’t take pictures of the mounting system for the bin, but it just slides in on a couple rails screwed to the underside of the bench top. I may need to reinforce the slats between the holes as they flex a little, but we’ll see once we get a pot on it.
I also cut out a hole, and will be mounting the trash can as a soil repository. She’ll be able to take the can out, mix up whatever kind of soil she wants, and then just scoop it from there to the pot. The top of the hole is also replaceable in case more bench space is needed. Forgot that picture too, but the hole top has a fingerhole so it’s easy to remove.
still left to is add a shelf underneath for pots, and add a back so that tools can be mounted.
The trickiest part was the cutoff corner. I have no idea how else to attach an apron like that, but i used pocket screws.