The 7×8 lean-to shed is going to be delivered tonight. This is a simple but sturdy Amish built shed with a roof that is about 6’ at one side and 5’ at the other. We plan on having between 10 and 15 chickens to free range and rid our yard of ticks, since my husband has been afflicted with lyme disease. The structure does not have any windows or ventilation, nor any “chicken-furniture”, so I’ll have to modify it. This is my first big remodeling/woodworking project and I’m exited to start with it, finally.
These are the steps, I’ve already done, waiting for the arrival of the actual shed.
1. make some windows. First I made some out of pine, with 11×14 inch plexiglass. I hadn’t noticed that my SCMS was just a tad out of vertical (it cut at about half a degree bevel angle) so the first batch of windows were a bit out of whack.
On this picture you can see how much these windows are out of whack:
After asking the question here on LJ it was pointed out to me that there might have been a bevel cut involved and I found indeed that I had knocked the SCMS out of the vertical and it had half a degree of bevel. I made a second batch of 4 windows out of poplar that were much, much better. I also improved my use of the kreg pocket screw jigset, and added some glue to the joints, and now they are square, plum and rock solid. I still need to prime and paint them.
2. the pine windows that are less than perfect I will use at the ventilation openings, they would be open for much of the year anyway and if I need to close them when it gets really cold, I can probably rig something up to make them close tight.
1. cut the holes in the siding (plywood and T1-11) with a recip saw (never used one, so this is going to be an adventure). This is for 12 ventilation holes (11×14 to fit in between the studs), and 4 windows. As well as a popdoor where the chickens can get out into the run.
2. install the shutters and windows. For the ventilation holes where I have no windows, I’ll just put a frame around the siding I cut out and attach that with hinges. They will be open for most of the year. The other eight will have the windows I made.
3. then I need to install a roosting area, with a poop board and nest boxes underneath. The nest boxes are going to be recycled above fridge kitchen cabinets with the doors removed. The poopboard is an old countertop that I got free from Craigslist with 3 old washingmachine pans on top for easy clean-out that I got for 6 bucks at restore. I have some old plywood that I will make into a ladder for the chickens to get up to the roosting area.
4. finally I’ll have to make some sort of a secure run that they can be in when we are not at home. But I’ll wrap my head around that one when I have the coop up and running.
5. since the roof of the shed has no overhang, I may have to construct some overhang, at the openings to avoid leakage. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. One thing at a time :)
I’ll keep posting progress here, for my own documentation and for whomever may be interested.
-- As if I needed another hobby!