Having constructed the shell and the drawers for my wife’s new kitchen bereau, I still needed to complete the breadboard.
The sanding disc for the table saw will put on a glass smooth edge. I was careful to take very light passes so that I did not burn the edge instead.
I decided that a pine front would not be strong enough for the breadboard, so I cut out a piece of maple. I might have used a sander or router for this, but I used a spokeshave, a hand plane, and a profile scraper. It did not really take that long.
I cut a 1/8 rabbit where the front attaches to the breadboard and placed my dowels 3/32 in from the shoulder so that I could set them as deeply as possible into the front piece. It was safe to do that way because the shoulder supports the edge.
My clamps were a little hard on the face, so I used water and heat to remove the dents. It worked out fine here, but maple can crack in this situation, so I should have used a clamping jig.
I changed the style of the front a little to better suit my wife’s bureau
The breadboard guide rails and the drawer slides worked flawlessly.
The cabinet is squared off of the front legs and plumbed from the top, so I measured down and squared back for layout. It worked out great, all of my dimensions were true.
I finished the breadboard with Watco cutting board oil, along with the drawer slides. Once the drawer pulls were fit, I was ready to put the finish on the rest of the bureau and move on to the next phase of my wife’s project.
-- The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. Benjamin Franklin