With the finish drying on her bureau, a process that was taking forever because I used from a can of Ace extra slow drying polyurethane on the top, My wife reminded me that she wanted the finish to be extra smooth with lots of coats so that she could roll out dough on the countertop, and that I needed put up the spice cabinet when I brought in her new bureau so that she could organize everything affected by the change all at once with minimal disruption to her kitchen.
Unbeknownst to her, I had forgotten all about her spice rack with doors. I put the next coat of poly on the top of her bureau and went to work.
In order to give her what she wanted, I had to tear out the old cabinet, do something with the floor underneath, move an electrical outlet that would be behind the spice rack, move another that would be affected by her new bureau, build the spice rack and, on and on because, God bless her, my wife wants things.
Before I attacked her kitchen, I went into the shop and glued up some thin panels out of leftover pieces of beech and oak.
With the panels on my outfeed table, I plugged the radial arm saw into a foot peddle and ripped some pine boards.
While its capacity is limited, it makes as nice a rip as my table saw.
Looking for pieces that are 3/8 by 2 1/2, I halved the newly ripped boards on my bandsaw.
Once my pine pieces were all planed and cut to length, I grabbed a selection of bottles of things from my wife’s kitchen in the house to determine her needs.
I cut the cross dados and rabbits on my radial arm saw at a 1 degree angle to cant the shelves toward the back of the rack so that the little bottles of things would not fall out when my wife opened the doors. This done, it was time for the hammer and nails.
I needed to put a couple of pieces on the back to complete the structure, which I rabbited and dadoed into the assembly.
My panels were ready to plane down to 1/8 and since I do not like to run glued panel through my planer, I examined my options
Honestly, I have extra knives and they are easy to change in planers like mine, so I ran them through.
Next it was time to cut out the door frame, which got a rabbit on the inside face, and glue up the doors.
While the glue dried, I put another coat of poly, I had it under a heat lamp, on the bureau before I tore apart my wife’s kitchen and put it back together.
Once the glue dried, I was about done with the spice rack. For the hinges, I carefully drilled 3/16 holes into the top and bottom outside riser of each door and drilled a corresponding hole in the top of the cabinet. I then made two little plates with holes to screw to the bottom, glued 3/16 dowels into the holes on the doors, contact cemented steel magnet striking plates to the top inside corner of each door, and assemble the cabinet.
Needing to hurry, it is finished with one coat of my wife’s furniture polish (lemon oil) because it was the only fast drying finish I had on hand. I may have to deal with this later.
-- The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. Benjamin Franklin