Well, today is tomorrow, and I think we should see how the inside poly job turned out. Yesterday I put on another coat of poly to fix the brush marks. Then I covered it with a tarp to keep the dust off. The brush marks are better, but there is still some dust nibs. I’ve decided I don’t want the bottom as smooth as glass, it would be too slippery. So I guess this will be good enough.
With that done it’s time to put the seats in. This was fairly uneventful, which is good. After getting them in it’s time to cut the bolts to their final length. It’s not easy to get a decent picture here, but this needs to be shortened by 5/16”.
That was it for the bow seat. The stern seat needed just a little more attention. I had a couple of corners that needed to be sanded a bit. As you can see here, one corner is hitting too soon.
Other than that the seats went well. I believe the inside is done.
Now it’s time to turn this thing over and fix up the bottom. I have a sort of homemade outfeed table for my table saw that has wheels on it. I will use this to hold the canoe up off the cradle it’s on now so I can make something to set it on without it being too high. This helps because I can do one end at a time. Now I just need to remove the strap, cut off the uprights, attach a board across, and put carpet on so it won’t scratch.
Then I slid down and did the other end. Sat the canoe on it and went in for lunch.
Until now I have been man-handling this thing myself, now that I’ve got the poly on it I don’t want to mark it up. It’s time to call on some help from my wife. She went out with me after lunch and helped me turn it over.
In order to stop runs I put tape and paper around the gunwales.
Now it’s time to sand yet again. There are scratches on the hull from moving it around so much. The shop is a little tight for canoe building. No matter how hard you try, it’s impossible not to hit something. There are also runs from back when we did the fiberglassing on the inside, therefore, the sanding (which is starting to get old).
So here is what I hope is the last picture of the hull sanded white.
Wife came out and helped me put on another coat of epoxy to smooth out the hull.
Here is the situation. Tomorrow if the epoxy is hard enough I will sand it lightly, then wash it with water, and wipe it down with thinner. Then a few coats of poly. I had another lumberjock suggest thinning the poly a little and wiping it on. That sounds like a good idea, so I will give it a try. I have a few things to do coming up this week, so I may not be able to update until mid-week. I will get something on here as soon as I can. See you then.
-- Jeff in central Me.