As the title says, I finally got the poly on the inside. I did two coats, and wasn’t happy with it so I sanded the bottom a little and did a third. Here’s the problem, my shop is small and I have a terrible habit of hanging stuff from the ceiling. I’ve had no dust collector, so there is a ton of sawdust up there. If you bump anything you get a shower of fine dust.
I don’t have much to tell, or show tonight so it will be a quick update. Here is what I’m using. Helmsman, and a decent brush.
Here is the start.
And here it is done.
I kept poking the wood stove and kept the temp up there. By the end of the day it was dry enough for a second coat. Here again, a start, and finished pic.
So I waited until the next day and checked it out. I was not happy with the result. I don’t like to put on poly anyway, you can’t see what you are doing when you apply the second coat. I thought I was getting enough on, but not quite. I got it too thin and the brush marks didn’t fill in and smooth out.
I hated to do it, but I sanded the bottom and just a little up the sides. That smoothed it out considerably. Now all I have to do is put on another coat and get it thicker. I was ready to do that when an old friend called and wanted to come visit. I hadn’t seen him in a while so the canoe went on hold. He left late so I chose to wait until today. It was in the forty’s in the shop this morning, so I started a fire. I had some time to kill waiting for it to warm up so I put in some of the woodwork. The seats would be in the way so I left them for later. I put in the yoke and the thwarts. Here it is with the wood in and bottom sanded.
And here it is with the third coat. It looks the same as the other pictures but I put in one anyway.
Of course there were dust nibs settling in already. The wife helped me to put two new tarps over it to see if that would help. It will take longer to dry but will be worth it if it keeps the dust off.
I have a plan, if it works out. Tomorrow if the poly is set up, I will put in the seats. That means the inside is done. Then I will figure what to make to put it on so I can turn it over. If I get that done I will lightly sand the outside and give it a thin coat of epoxy to fill the scratches. Then a couple coats of poly, and I will suddenly have some time on my hands. It won’t all happen tomorrow, but if I get enough done I will update. See you then.
-- Jeff in central Me.