I guess at the end of the last update I had epoxyed the decks, and started the yoke. I guess we will start there. The first thing I did was flush cut and sand the dowels I put in the ends.
Then I need to ease the edges of the gunwales to make them a little more user friendly. I don’t want to remove too much wood so they will be done by hand. I like to use my small piece of sponge.
I also need to do some catch-up on the paddles, so I sanded the cloth job I did on one of them a while ago.
Then I did the filler coat on both. The idea is to put it on the whole paddle, handle and all. This seals the handle and then put it on extra thick on the blade. Then hang them up and let it run down, and smooth out.
Now back to the yoke. It’s already been cut, sanded, and spokeshaved. Now some hand sanding. I have the before picture of it but I don’t know what happened to the after one.
Now to fit it. Put the stick in that spreads the hull to where it should be. Then lay the yoke on the gunwales right at the center. Then put a straight edge on it.
Next you need to put a mark on the yoke where the outside of the hull is ( that’s the skinny piece between the gunwales). Next mark the other edge. When that’s done you go to the other end of the yoke and do the same thing. When you take it to the bench, you use a straight edge and connect the two marks. This is where you cut the yoke to length.
Try a test fit. It should fit in well.
The gunwales on this model are not flat. This means the yoke will not fit flat against the underneath. It would be Ok to bolt them up like this but it bugs me. I want it to fit tight. It’s off an eighth of an inch.
Mark the edge.
Carry the marks around to the edge and get set up to remove some wood.
An eighth isn’t much so I used hand tools.
Not a bad fit.
Now to get ready to attach them. Drill, countersink, bolt.
The owners want some small thwarts on each end to have someplace to tie on a lead rope. It’s time to make them.
The pictures of marking them out have gone away into cyber space so we start with cutting them out. Then sanding, spokeshave, more sanding, ready to go.
Now to mark where to mount them. I picked three and a half inches from the deck. I think that is room enough without wasting space.
I marked them at the middle of the cedar strip. When I cut that at the line it should leave it long enough.
Now they are rounded and sanded.
Put in place they look pretty good. I just need to mark and drill them.
In this last picture everything is in place but not bolted in. Next time I will remove them and poly them. I just wanted to see how they look.
When I work on it again I will poly the woodwork, a couple coats. I also really need to weave the other seat. The weaving will take a couple of days. When done I can then fit the seats. Then poly the whole inside of the hull. I plan on getting some done this weekend, if so I’ll keep you posted. See you then.
-- Jeff in central Me.