I didn’t get as much shop time as I had hoped, but some is better than none. First up is fixing the hole where I broke off the drill bit. If you remember from the last post, I had to drill a new hole beside the old one. I want to plug them without them being too obvious. It wouldn’t look good to me to have two plugs side by side. I will try to plug the hole with the broken bit with some of the same wood the gunwale is made from. So, start with the plug cutter in the drill press.
I made a few more than I needed so if I ruin some there will be more ready. I used a left over piece of the Ash the gunwales are made from. Now on the the bandsaw to cut them out.
I have to interrupt this blog for something important. I had a little side repair job come up that had to be done right away. In the process of this repair I had to use my big plane. I figure any time you need to use the #8, it’s a kodak moment.
OK, back to the canoe. My smallest plug cutter was one size too big. I need to sand this plug smaller. Not an easy thing to hold. I ended up using a dowel and some tape.
Then the test fit, looks good.
Now just orient the grain in the right direction, a little glue, and we can move on to the next job.
I need to dress down the gunwales and clean up the decks. I have an old plane that I call the beater plane. It’s very sharp, but I use it for dirty lumber, or for fiberglass like this. Plane it, then belt sander.
It’s also time to trim the ends of the gunwales so that they can be sanded smooth and rounded. It doesn’t matter what saw you use, just try to get the angle right.
Here is one end done.
And here is the plug I made. I didn’t get the grain perfect, but it’s close.
Now I need to sand the inside and outside of the gunwales because they are dented from the clamps. I suppose I could have used some cauls, but there was a lot going on then and I figured it would be easier to skip cauls and just sand it out.
I use regular plug for the rest of the holes. I thought I had plenty, but found out different. I actually had no small ones so I used dowels.
I had a few small gaps in the gunwales so I used epoxy to fill them. I had some left so I “painted” the decks with it. This will seal them from water. I will also paint the whole gunwales before I put on the poly.
Now it’s the waiting game. The epoxy is wet, and so is the wood glue. While I wait I will start to make the yoke. I have the pattern from the last canoe. I keep all my patterns in an old box. This is an old printer box, it stays flat and I taped the bottom closed so they can’t fall out. I put them all in there and put it up on top of a cabinet so they will stay flat.
I use some old weights to hold it in place, and trace it with a marker. I like this method better because I can use the marker to make a wider mark, some on the paper and more on the wood. This way you cut some of the mark and sand until the line is gone.
From here you probably know the drill, bandsaw, spindle sander, then spokeshave.
I still have to sand it and cut it to length. Tomorrow I will paint on some more epoxy and wait for it to dry. I also need to weave the other seat. The weaving will take a couple of days. I don’t see anything to blog about for a while. I would guess that my next update will be Friday, if not on the weekend. I will do it as soon as I can. See you then.
-- Jeff in central Me.