Another short update. I wasn’t in the shop yesterday so there was no heat then. So this morning when I went out it was 33 degrees in the shop. It’s going to take a while to get it up to 75 so I can work with epoxy. I did a little picking up and other things to kill some time. It got up to 75 just after 12:00. That left time to put on one coat of epoxy, but that would be about it for today. I am putting on a coat or two of epoxy to fill the weave of the cloth. When you get enough in the cloth, then you can sand it without getting into the weave, and get a nice smooth job. The problem is there isn’t much to take pictures of. So here are a couple you probably don’t care about.
Here the temp is almost where I need it.
And, thanks to me not throwing anything out, I have an old floor mat to keep the paint tray from scratching the hull.
I mixed up 24 ounces of epoxy and poured it in the tray. I then used one of the foam rollers you saw in an earlier blog. Not much excitement here. I hand’t done too much when my wife came out to see if she could help. You’re darn right you can help. Out comes another roller. In very short order we were over half done.
When we finished, she went in to make some supper. There were a few bubbles, so I got out the heat gun. I’m not sure why, but the heat gun didn’t seem to help. So I grabbed a small brush to ‘tip’ the bubbles. Before I got done I thought it looked so good I might as well tip the whole thing. Both sides of a 16 foot canoe takes a while with a 1 1/2” brush.
As I neared the end of it I found something I hadn’t noticed before. It seems that I missed a couple of bubbles when I sanded the entire hull to put on this coat of epoxy. That’s the problem when you sand this stuff. Once you sand a spot it turns white, so if you miss something, you won’t see it until you put on more, then it clears and you can see what’s underneath. So, with this coat, the issue showed up.
As if this wasn’t bad enough, there is another one on the opposite side.
Until I found this I was going to put on one more coat and then turn the canoe over. Now I have to do a repair. I will sand it and feather the edges, then put on a small patch of cloth. I’ll have to let this dry, then I can do the last coat on the whole thing. If I could get the temperature up early enough I could do it all tomorrow. But I doubt I can pull it off. We will see.
So here is what it looks like tonight.
Oh, before I forget. If you remember, I put two layers of cloth on the bottom. After applying epoxy, you can’t see the seam where it ends. However, the seam shows up after sanding. But it goes away when I apply more epoxy. Pretty cool.
OK, back to the finished pictures.
So there you have it. I will try to do more tomorrow. If I get out there I will take a picture or two of the bubble repair. If not, maybe the next day. See you then.
-- Jeff in central Me.