Got back into the shop today and gained a little ground. So I started the day off with another one of the many foolish things I do. If you clean your wood stove, perhaps you should be sure there is no soot on your sleeve before you lean on the canoe.
Well, isn’t that special.
If I wipe it with a rag it will smear. Hmmmm, I started by grabbing the air hose and blowing off what I could. Then I carefully made a few passes with a piece of 80 grit. As I sanded with one hand I was blowing lightly with the other so the black dust wouldn’t settle back on the wood. A little better.
I swapped to 120 grit. Sanded just a small spot then changed to a different corner of the paper. I if didn’t swap areas of paper it would smear the black around. More sanding and blowing off and it came out pretty good.
Now, until I do something weird again, back to business. Here’s what it looked like after all the fills were sanded last time.
Here is the biggest fill.
It’s smooth to the touch, and the beautiful thing about the epoxy is when it’s done it won’t show at all.
Here is what I’m after today.
There are several little spots that need filling. It’s hard to see some of them without a flashlight. Once the epoxy is mixed there won’t be time to find them all before it sets up. I think the best thing to do is mark the spots ahead of time. I have a big, flat piece of stone a friend gave me. I put a piece of tape on it and used a straight edge to cut off narrow strips.
I put a piece of tape on the hull just below a hole. If there is a joint that is longer I put a piece on each end. The pieces on the ends are pointing toward each other so I know I have to fill a strip in between them.
After pulling the tape off the stone I stick some of it to the flashlight to have it handy. This way I can cover an area quickly.
So here it is all marked and ready to go.
Now there is a lot of wait time coming up. There will be times when I will do a little bit and then have to wait overnight for the epoxy to harden. Earlier in the summer I started a set of paddles for a friend of a friend. It’s a long story but I ended up not needing to make them after all. I set them aside and never finished them. The other day I showed them to the new owners and they seemed to like them. So, when I have a bunch of wait time I will work on paddles.
I didn’t get a very good picture of them but they have both been fiberglassed, and one has been sanded after.
This is where we stand. The holes are all filled and drying. Tomorrow I will try to get out there and sand it off. Then maybe seal the wood and get ready for cloth. See you next time.
-- Jeff in central Me.