Well, I think we should start off today with a lesson. Look at where the first two strips meet between the tape. It looks great.
I like this point, I can really pull down on them when stapling. However, walk around and look at it from the other side.
Its from yesterday so it is all set up, no moving it now. It’s not horrible because I can fill the gap later on, just don’t like it.
From now on there will be no clamp room.
I was able to sneak in one c-clamp.
Now, when I can, I will make the joint at a station, but it doesn’t work out very often. This way the staple holds the joint.
I put in a row but didn’t fasten it down. You’ll see why later.
Now a row on the left side, again, not stapled.
Now to fit the middle. The strips that are not hooked down need to be held in place for an accurate measurement for the center. Tape works well for this.
I may have these in the wrong order but you get the idea. The strips that are taped in have the coves planed off.
Now to tackle that little center strip. I’m sure there are easier and better ways, but this is how I do it. First I mark off the edge of the hole by the inch.
Next I take the strip and cover it with blue tape. Then I mark that off by the inch.
Then I measure the width of the hole at each mark and transfer that to the strip.
Now connect the marks to make the curve on the strip.
Here is the finished strip, ready to be cut.
Here is the strip roughed out on the bandsaw. It’s not pretty but I will clean it up.
This strip is small and hard to handle so I clamped the plane in the vise and did most of it that way.
I tried a test fit and it looked good so I cut it in half. I didn’t want to lose a lot to kerf so I cut it with a coping saw.
Well, it’s crunch time. There are six pieces that need to go in one after the other, until it’s done.
The first one is in, glued, and stapled.
Now the second.
After the second one went in that leaves you with a joint to deal with. There is no room for a clamp. It means two more holes in the hull but I use a staple to hold this joint.
Now the third strip.
And then the fourth.
After this fourth strip there is another joint but I made it fall on the station so I could staple it there.
Now the hole is pretty small and the strips are hard to work with. Can’t stop now, in goes the fifth piece.
Now, at long last, here goes the sixth and final piece.
I get this one in and stapled, and suddenly, you’re done.
Here it is.
Well there, I guess that wasn’t so bad. Here are a few figures. I had no idea how much lumber it would take so I got 60 board feet. I’d rather have left over than run out.
I started with 360 strips. Other than the small pieces that aren’t much good, there are 178 strips left over. So I used 182 strips. Remember, they were only six feet long, so eight or ten footers would take a lot less pieces.
I got 12 strips per board, so that means I used about 15 boards. So I guess this is where I’m at. Cedar- about $90.00
Router bits- $30.00
1 gal. poly- $46.00
3 boxes staples- $10.00
2 Rolls tape- $8.00
10 Chip brushes- $8.00
Seat cane- $25.00
1 gal. tite-bond 2 wood glue- $18.00
The canoe is a diamond in the rough, but that will get better as we go along. see you next time.
-- Jeff in central Me.