I’m back at it. Today’s job is to start closing in the bottom. The day started with more problems with the stem form that bothered before. I pulled some tape and got the chisel and removed more material. It didn’t need much to get the strips to lay the way they should.
I taped it back up and tried it out. The strip lay flat like I wanted.
Now it’s harder to put the glue in the cove. You have to stand on a stool, or sometimes I will reach over and put the glue in from the other side.
Now the ends are a whole new ballgame.
You don’t just saw them off, you have to shape them to fit. Start by making a mark where the new joint will start.
Use a straight edge to make a line from your mark down to nothing.
Then use a knife to rough it out.
Then use a block plane to take it to the line.
The fit looks good. Glue it in.
From this point on you won’t need any more screws to hold the strips down, they will lay flat with just staples. All the joints will be the same also. The strips will be shorter, but it takes a little time to get the joints to fit right. Just like the joint shown above, mark them, rough them with a knife, and finish with a plane. When you get that done and are happy with the fit, use the plane to round the top edges so they will fit into the cove of the other strip.
Glue up the cove, then don’t forget to put glue on the top where you just rounded it over.
If all goes well you will have a nice looking joint.
FAIL! Some joints just don’t do what they should. This one was off so I chopped it off and started over. Sometimes I think it’s easier to start new rather than trying to get it to fit.
The future canoe owners stopped in today. I haven’t seen them for quite a while so I visited for a spell. And that, boys and girls, is my excuse for not getting much done today and I’m sticking to it. Also, I finished the second box of staples just as I was getting done. It won’t take many from the third box to finish up.
So here is where we stand today. I believe there are 26 strips on each side but I don’t think it’s a good way to judge progress anymore because they are getting shorter all the time. When I started, the tenth strip up was 16’ 4” long due to the curve of the hull. The gap that needs to be filled in now is only 10’ long, and 11” wide.
I don’t think I can get it filled in tomorrow, but if I do I will post it up.
-- Jeff in central Me.