One more burst of ambition before the holiday. When I lay out the strips for a new row I use blue tape to mark where the ends will fall. That way I can see from one end to the other they will go.
Now I know where to cut the strip so the joint will fall where I want it. The next pic shows how much the strip has to bend to attach where it needs to.
I use a couple spring clamps to help hold the wood in the right direction until I can get a screw in it.
Here is the first strip of the day, in place, glued, screwed, and stapled. See anything wrong?
DOOFUS ALERT!! I forgot to sand the scarf joint on the end.
This is the first on this canoe and hopefully the last. I’m not about to pull out all the hardware just for that. Time for a butt joint. I just overlap the two pieces, clamp them and saw them together so the ends will match.
Now just clip out the little piece that’s left in the cove.
And you’re ready to go.
Some people make an entire canoe using these butt joints so I’m not worried about one or two. You will never see it when it’s done.
Speaking of problems, I hate when this happens.
This is going to be a problem day. Take a look at this.
The strip looks like it went down against the station like it should, but when I drove the screw in it didn’t feel right. I took the mirror and looked underneath. The bottom of the strip had lifted. I tried to get a picture with the mirror, I think you can see where the strips have lifted right where they meet. I want to get them down tight so there won’t be a bulge in the canoe hull.
I backed the screw out and got the strips to lay down. Just something to watch out for.
The ends are starting to look different. The strips are starting to lay flat except the ends. Now the ends are sawn off at a different angle.
Another heads up – be sure to check your strips for tear out from the router. These will leave gaps that will have to be filled later.
I built a canoe on these stations a while ago and had trouble with one of the stem forms. I was waiting for it and it came right after lunch. One end is too thick so the strip has a hard time twisting as much as it needs to. I took off some tape and used a chisel to thin it down to make things easier.
Just don’t forget to put tape back when you are done or you will glue the canoe to the forms.
Now the strips have to be shaped with a chisel or a plane to fit together better. This is a good sign, it means I’m getting closer to the center where they all lay flat.
I clamped up the ends and called it a day.
Here’s where we stand, 22 strips on each side. The ends are almost done so the strips needed will be getting shorter. Almost all of the work now will be laying flat.
Hope everyone has a great holiday. I will get back at it in a day or two.
-- Jeff in central Me.