OK, I’m back at it. I continued with the caning this morning. Finished the side to side.
Then started with the diagonal.
I did the diagonal right to left first.
It’s starting to look like a seat. Now to do the diagonal left to right. This is the last weaving to be done. After this is the binder, which is the wider cane that runs around the edges and covers the holes. But, I’m getting ahead of myself. I haven’t gotten that last diagonal done yet.
Problem. I guess my mind got to wandering. I had done three rows incorrectly before I noticed it. In the next pic. I have the tool pointing to the weave problem. I missed a spot and went over instead of under (or under instead of over).
The only thing to do to fix it is pull the three rows out and do them over. So, I pulled them and did them correctly, then I got half of it done and went over and put on a couple of strips.
It was getting late so I only put two strips on each side, but that is better than nothing. I’m now starting the transition from vertical stripping to horizontal. When going up over the stations the strips want to continue straight up, so you have to make sure they stay tight against the station. I use a small hammer to tap the staples in all the way to help hold the wood where it belongs. So far I’ve gotten away with it, but when the curve gets tighter I will have to put in a screw to help hold them tight. When tapping the staples in with the hammer make sure not to tap them in far enough to break the wood grain. You want to be able to sand out all the marks later.
So that is where I stand right now. One seat is almost done, and there are ten strips on each side. I plan to be in the shop tomorrow. Hopefully I can get enough done to be worth another update tomorrow night.
-- Jeff in central Me.