Inlay Pens

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by epp_dog posted 05-23-2009 01:00 AM 2025 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I was just mesmerized by the inlay pens at Kallenshaan Woods and with a bit of leather carving money in my pocket I decided to buy some of these kits. The fish and moonscape are my first 2 and are made for the Wall Street 2 style pen. I have an American Flag for a Majestic yet to start.

I should have taken pictures of the pieces but here are the blanks glued up. I just filled in the gap around Saturn with black epoxy. When that dries I will add the sterling silver “stars” and then glue in the tubes. This part has not been too difficult. I imagine that when I put them on the lathe and have a $50 blank spinning that things will get quite tense.

Inlay Pens

-- David, Florida

3 comments so far

View a1Jim's profile


115177 posts in 3001 days

#1 posted 05-23-2009 01:49 AM

It does sound a little scary but will look really cool

-- Custom furniture

View johnpoolesc's profile


246 posts in 2784 days

#2 posted 05-23-2009 03:09 AM

i’ve got to try one of those.. i need a reason to knock the dust off of my old scroll saw. keep us posted

-- It's not a sickness, i can stop buying tools anytime.

View epp_dog's profile


58 posts in 2837 days

#3 posted 05-25-2009 01:21 AM

I think the Memorial Day weekend will come to a close before I get a chance to work on the American flag pen. I did finish these 2 today however. I used the pen mill for trimming as there were not lots of tiny parts at the ends. I will have to build a jig for trimming the American Flag set.

The kits went together very well. I will definitely be buying more of Ken’s kits. I sanded down the excess CA/epoxy and then used a SHARP skew to get the pieces close to finished size. I then used 100 grit sandpaper to get them to final size.

The moonscape gave me the worst problems (probably not wise for my second inlay kit). The rings of Saturn needed a bit of sanding and during that process they snapped. A close look shows where the break was. The acrylic earth ended up with a shadow behind it from the epoxy/CA. I am not sure what caused that but I bet if I had reversed my lathe for the sanding that would have come out.

Fishbone – sanded through Micromesh and friction polish
Moonscape – sanded through MM, CA finish, sanded through MM, polishing compound, car wax (use this on all my acrylic pens for a nice shine).

fish bones inlay wallstreet 2 pen
Moonscape inlay wallstreet 2 pen

-- David, Florida

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics