LumberJocks

Bathroom Vanity Commision

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Darryl Jones updated 04-05-2014 12:30 AM 5 parts 12469 reads 9 comments total

Part 1: Concept, Milling, and Legs

01-04-2014 11:20 PM by Darryl Jones | 0 comments »

I started a commission for a custom bath vanity a few months ago. I am going to try to blog the process in as much detail as I can remember for anyone that would like to follow along. The project is not quite finished yet and I had been meaning to start the blog ages ago but I guess better late than never. Here goes. Ok so the concept was to build an open style furniture vanity unlike your cabinet type units. So I came up with a concept as shown below modeled in sketch up. It was origi...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Side assemblies, tapers, and curves

01-23-2014 05:22 AM by Darryl Jones | 2 comments »

After milling the leg blanks, I moved on to tapering the bottoms of the legs. I decided to only double taper the front legs only because the rear legs are only visible from the sides. After tapering the legs, I decided to assemble the side panels as sub-assemblies. I made curved templates for the curve detail on the bottom of the side panels so that both sides would be identical. I double stick taped the templates to the side parts and used a flush trim bit on my router table to ens...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Face frames and cabinet interior

03-24-2014 07:39 PM by Darryl Jones | 0 comments »

The face frames were not all that involved so I did not take a lot of pictures of the cuts and positioning of the parts. Most of the pieces were square edged pieces joined with dominos. At one point I had to decide on whether or not to include a reveal around the curved rail that framed the open space in the front of the piece. I did take pictures of the face frame both ways, in the end I decided to go with the reveal because I felt that the shadow line provided by the reveal really added...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Bottom shelf, medicine cabinet, and spraying the interior

03-24-2014 08:19 PM by Darryl Jones | 1 comment »

As I have mentioned in an earlier post, it was decided early on that we would make the bottom shelf slatted instead of flat plywood. This actually turned out to be a little more challenging that I had hoped. It ended up with 12 slats, originally 14 but I dropped the 2 outer slats because I felt the joinery would be too busy, all connected with dominos to the front and rear rails. I also went ahead and pre-finished this shelf in anticipation of access issues while spraying. This piec...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Drawers, finish, reveal

04-05-2014 12:30 AM by Darryl Jones | 6 comments »

I know that the last blog entry alluded to some mention of the drawer construction, but I barely took any pictures so I guess I’ll have to describe it a little. Originally the grain in the drawer fronts were going to run horizontally as drawers usually do. However after looking at what the piece had become, I felt that having the grain run vertically was more aesthetically pleasing. So I glued up two panels for the drawer fronts and proceeded to build the drawers. I used 1/2” ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com