LumberJocks

Bathroom Vanity Commision #4: Bottom shelf, medicine cabinet, and spraying the interior

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by emetric posted 03-24-2014 08:19 PM 997 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Face frames and cabinet interior Part 4 of Bathroom Vanity Commision series Part 5: Drawers, finish, reveal »

As I have mentioned in an earlier post, it was decided early on that we would make the bottom shelf slatted instead of flat plywood. This actually turned out to be a little more challenging that I had hoped. It ended up with 12 slats, originally 14 but I dropped the 2 outer slats because I felt the joinery would be too busy, all connected with dominos to the front and rear rails. I also went ahead and pre-finished this shelf in anticipation of access issues while spraying.

This piece didn’t seem to be working out with the lye treatment and I was fearful that all my hard work was ruined but as it turns out, a coat of lacquer soothed all my worries.

I had to go over to the clients place again to confirm a few measurements and I noticed that they had removed their medicine cabinet. It was only 9 in wide, so I mentioned to them that they should just open up the rest of the space and I could create a new medicine cabinet that would match the new vanity. They agreed and I got to work on it. The medicine cabinet took very little effort, I just took some of the cherry ply scraps and crafted the interior using a piece of birch ply for the back. I used some of the cherry cutoffs for a frame, drilled some shelf pin holes, applied the lye and lacquer and viola!

I cut some glass shelves from some scraps and the cabinet portion was complete.

Up next was the door. I didn’t have enough cherry ply for the panel so I decided to re-saw solid stock for the panel. I found out the hard way that edge gluing 1/4” material is no picnic, but I managed to get through it. After one failed glueup I was able to get it done and the panel came out far better than I could have imagined. I had to apply lye to the panel separately so as not to have lye pooling in the corners. I wanted to apply lye to the frame separately as well but I was unsure wether the lye would affect the glue bond or not.

As I was finishing the door frame, I did end up with some pooling of the lye even though I taped the panel. Again I feared that I had ruined another part but once again a coat of lacquer saved the day.

Now back to the vanity, with all the interior pieces finished it was time to assemble. This was a very tricky assembly there was a lot of room for things to go wrong. But I did get it all together and square.

Up next….
Drawers, finish, and the big reveal.

-- "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Master Oogway



1 comment so far

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

4845 posts in 2571 days


#1 posted 03-24-2014 09:43 PM

What a sweet looking set of cabinets.
Good job.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase