LumberJocks

Bathroom Vanity Commision #3: Face frames and cabinet interior

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by emetric posted 03-24-2014 07:39 PM 1034 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Side assemblies, tapers, and curves Part 3 of Bathroom Vanity Commision series Part 4: Bottom shelf, medicine cabinet, and spraying the interior »

The face frames were not all that involved so I did not take a lot of pictures of the cuts and positioning of the parts. Most of the pieces were square edged pieces joined with dominos. At one point I had to decide on whether or not to include a reveal around the curved rail that framed the open space in the front of the piece. I did take pictures of the face frame both ways, in the end I decided to go with the reveal because I felt that the shadow line provided by the reveal really added something to the design.

At this point it was time to start fitting the interior dividers and making sure that the bottom of the sink would have the necessary clearance. I began by simply setting the pieces inside the cabinet between the face frames and back rail.

Then I cut dadoes for the dividers to fit into, and reinstalled the dividers so that I could do a test fit with the sink/counter top unit installed to check for clearance.

I did have to notch the dividers a little to get the sink installed (don’t have a picture of this step). Next I placed a piece of wood vertically under the sink to establish the location of the piece that would hide plumbing in the open space under the sink. After determining the location I added a dado for this piece.

It was at this point that I had to start considering finishing the interior of the cabinet because the spaces would be too tight to spray a finish into. I took a sample and sprayed it with lacquer for the client to approve. She liked it but wanted it darker and asked if I could stain it. I personally feel that it is criminal to stain cherry, but the piece wasn’t for me so I started looking into alternatives. I had read somewhere that lye could kick start the aging process in cherry, so I decided to give it a try. the color change was immediate and striking.

I took another sample to the customer and she loved it! I went ahead and stained all of the remaining interior parts. The difference wasn’t quite as dramatic on the plywood but still achieved the goal.

Up next…..
Bottom shelf, medicine cabinet, and spraying the interior.

-- "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Master Oogway



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase