LumberJocks

Bathroom Vanity Commision #2: Side assemblies, tapers, and curves

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by emetric posted 180 days ago 838 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Concept, Milling, and Legs Part 2 of Bathroom Vanity Commision series Part 3: Face frames and cabinet interior »

After milling the leg blanks, I moved on to tapering the bottoms of the legs. I decided to only double taper the front legs only because the rear legs are only visible from the sides.

After tapering the legs, I decided to assemble the side panels as sub-assemblies. I made curved templates for the curve detail on the bottom of the side panels so that both sides would be identical. I double stick taped the templates to the side parts and used a flush trim bit on my router table to ensure identical parts.

Originally I had intended the bottom curve to be solid stock but later decided to make the side panels out of plywood to simplify and streamline the design. The next few pictures shows where I was test fitting the side panels with and without a reveal. The pieces were just placed into position with spacers to raise the bottom curve into approx position. This is where I decided to go with the plywood side panel.

Next I used a card scraper and my ros to smooth the legs before cutting the joinery. As the majority of this project was assembled using the festool domino, it was time to cut all the dadoes in the legs. This went pretty quickly as the festool does it job efficiently. Unfortunately I didn’t take pictures of this step. After cutting all the mortises, I assembled the sides into sub assemblies.

After getting the sides complete, I turned my attention to the long curved apron. I also made a template for this curve (no pics though). I cut the other three stretchers at the same time so that they would all be the same length. After finessing the curved apron, I cut the the domino joints for all the aprons and test fit everything together with the countertop/ sink in place.

I remember thinking that I was getting somewhere but now I realize that I was no where near truly getting started at this point.

Up next….. Face frames and the interior of the cabinet.

-- "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Master Oogway



2 comments so far

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

4739 posts in 2477 days


#1 posted 180 days ago

Nice work. Smart looking piece.
The grain on that ply is delicious.

So the stretchers between the legs went away completely when you added the ply? Seems like you could have used the ply as a panel inside a frame. ?

I like it,
Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View emetric's profile

emetric

125 posts in 1764 days


#2 posted 180 days ago

First of all, thank you for the feedback. I was going to use them as a frame and panel type setup but I felt in this case going simple would be better to go along with my design aesthetic. Also there is no reason to believe anyone would see the bottom of the curve on the plywood panel (exposed plies) and very little possibility that it would ever be touched. At the point where I decided to forgo the stretchers between the legs it wasn’t even a material or time savings consideration (because I had already made the additional parts), it was purely a design choice.

-- "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Master Oogway

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase