LumberJocks

Bathroom Vanity Commision #1: Concept, Milling, and Legs

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by emetric posted 208 days ago 728 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Bathroom Vanity Commision series Part 2: Side assemblies, tapers, and curves »

I started a commission for a custom bath vanity a few months ago. I am going to try to blog the process in as much detail as I can remember for anyone that would like to follow along. The project is not quite finished yet and I had been meaning to start the blog ages ago but I guess better late than never. Here goes.

Ok so the concept was to build an open style furniture vanity unlike your cabinet type units. So I came up with a concept as shown below modeled in sketch up. It was originally to have an open space below the sink and open areas to house baskets and/or towel rolls instead of drawers, with curves on the apron as well as the open area to hide the bottom of the sink. The concept was also to have a solid wood bottom shelf.

There were several changes made right away, it was decided that the top two compartments would be deep drawers with sliding trays and the bottom shelf would be slatted instead of solid to allow any potential water (drips or whatever) to be able to roll off the slats instead of pooling on the flat shelf. I also was able to find a corian countertop with built-in sink on Craigslist that the customer liked. So now that I had most of the variables settled I started working.

I had been fortunate to have a friend that found some rough sawn local cherry for sale (also on craigslist) that I would be able to use for this project. We got these boards at an exceptional price of course there were some defects to work around but still an awesome value. The boards were just over an inch thick before milling. Clearly this picture doesn’t include all of the cherry purchased but these are a few of the rough boards.

So I set about milling and dimensioning various parts and pieces starting with the glue-ups for the legs. I wanted 1 1/2” square legs so I had to mill and glue-up the blanks. Years ago I was fortunate enough to have been able to acquire quite a few besseys from a guy that was closing down his shop, boy am I glad now!

After the glue-up the legs were dimensioned, jointed and planed square and straight

I guess that is all for now, I am going to try to keep the sections of this blog short. Up next will be the side assemblies and curves.

-- "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Master Oogway



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase