I finally finished the foyer table – the top turned out great. Even though I was suprised / disappointed at the big knots during the resawing, they are what most people comment liking when they first see it. I attached the top with steel z-clips from woodcraft – 2 on each end since the ends were bowed up a little.
After I finished the table, my wife (nonchalantly) mentioned how a tealight holder would be nice to put on the bottom shelf. So of course I had to build a custom one out of some walnut, in the same shape as the bottom shelf. A minor distraction from switching over to the dining room table, but a fun project. I decided to try a new finishing product called “Tried and True Wood Finish”. It’s appears to be a combination of linseed oil and beeswax. It is a thick product that wipes on easily, wipe off excess after 1 hour, then rub out after 24 hours. Tomorrow I will do the rubout, but so far the product is easy to work with and looks really great on walnut (see before/after pic). If the rub goes well, I think I’ll use this again for similar pieces.
On to the dining table design. I sketched out a few leg / stretcher options for my wife. She picked the curvy legs and stretcher. Now I need to firm up dimensions and I will do a 10:1 scale down prototype before I drop money on the walnut (legs) and maple (top). I also need to figure out how to connect the stretcher between the leg pieces and the top of the stretcher arch to the bottom of the tabletop. I think I saw a similar design on here or elsewhere when researching trestle tables, so hopefully I can figure that out during the prototyping.