I’ve been chipping away at this project. Work is moving us in a month so any and all progress has been intermittent between getting ready to move. I may end up finishing this chair once I get my family moved in. I’ll be headed to CO Springs so if anyone knows some good hardwood and tool sources out that way let me know.
After a couple of attempts, the best method for me is to rough shape all pieces between the band saw, shaper, and belt sander before fitting. Once fit and glued to hit it with the grinder, some curved chisels, a rasp, and finally smoothing over with card scrapers and sand paper. I also found a spoke shave is helpful in some areas. Please let me know of other successful techniques.
The seat has been ground with a flap sander then sanded down to 220 grit for now.
The back slats were rough-cut on the band saw then ran through the shaper with a rub collar and clamped to a template. Let me know if anyone wants to see the jig, its basically a stiff scrap of walnut with two cam clamps at the end to hold the piece. I used a doweling bit to bring the back slat ends down to size. Final diameter of the back slats is 9/16”
Here’s a shot fitting the pieces together before gluing the legs. I needed to glue the legs up before packing out to prevent the joints from shrinking and losing their fit.
I will work my way from the seat out as I assemble the rest of the chair. I shaped the back legs to the seat and then will tackle the front legs before attaching the arms and then shaping the arm joints.
The front legs are next