A friend of mine is refinishing an antique chair. There were four spindles on the back of the chair, all of which were broken. When he found out I had just bought a lathe, he asked if I thought I would be able to replicate the broken spindles. After getting the broken spindles, I thought it would be a piece of cake, they are a simple pattern. Pattern being a key word that I only figured out after turning four trash, not even close to being the same, spindles.
I made a dimensional drawing on sketch up after putting my calipers on the transitional diameters, and measuring lengths.!
I turned round four 10” pieces of hard maple to 7/8” diameter, then laid the length dimensions on the blank. With a parting tool I turned down the diameters at the intersections of transition.
The rest was easy. I turned the spindle down to join the diameters at the intersections, and left about an 1 1/2” at the ends so my friend would have extra length. Since the spindles were broken at the tenons I didn’t know the actual length. Did this three more times, and all four spindles look identical.
Once I figured out how to tackle this project the rest was easy. It took me about 3 hours (I’m a little slow). The last spindle was about 30 minutes, I did pick up speed as I went. My friend is going to put the finish on and he said he would take a picture for me to see the completed project. I will post the pic when I get it.
Thanks for looking,
-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com