Finally had time to start cutting the parts for the stand. Here is a photo of all of the pieces cut:
I used a Dremel tool to cut the disks. Rather than buy the plastics disks from Work Sharp, I made some disks from hardboard and also from MDF.
My design called for grooves to be cut into the MDF for the 3/16” hardboard shelves and backs. I couldn’t find a 3/16” router bit locally, so I ended up using an 1/8” bit in the Dremel and making two passes. A big hassle to make eight grooves on each of the two side walls.
I wanted to have a finger hole in the shelves, so I cut the shelf blanks twice as long, and then cut a hole in the center with the Dremel tool. My Dremel tool was really getting a workout on this project! Then I cut the blanks in half on the table saw to get the final shelves:
The final assembled unit looks quite good:
The top is removable and is fastened with four countersunk screws. As I have three thicknesses of disks, I intend to use shims to get the top level with the disk I am using:
I used Sketchup to design the project, and then an add-on to Sketchup call Component 2 Scene to make drawings of the various parts which I then placed dimensions on. As I cut the parts, I placed a self adhesive label on each and wrote on that label the name of the part. You can see in the various photos the labels. This makes cutting and assembling the project much easier, almost like assembling a kit.
I was able to find some P400 and P1000 grit sanding disks on Amazon and used them to sharpen some of my chisels, planes and knives. So far the WS2000 is working great and I am having no trouble with the work piece over heating. I intend to do a review of the WS2000 after I have used it for awhile.