Weekend Bench #12: Stick a fork in me

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by dsb1829 posted 01-11-2009 10:13 PM 1995 reads 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 11: Flushing up the front legs Part 12 of Weekend Bench series no next part

Took about 3 hours this afternoon. I am going to close out this series. Yes, still have a few more items that I need to do like seal the top and drill some more dog holes. But, by in large, the bench is complete.

First item of the day, hand plane the legs, vise mount, and apron flush. Minor issue, this bench is getting heavy. I managed to get it down without much strife. I went to pick the thing back up when done and failed. Took 2 more attempts to right this beast. Amazingly enough I have managed to move this bench around without assistance through the entire build. But gravity almost won today ;-)

So I ran the block plane over the legs to flush them up and remove the glue squeeze-out. I then used the no608 to run everything flush. I will use that term lightly. It isn’t perfect, but it will do.

My biggest flaw:

Yep, ended up with one of the feet off by over 1/4in. Oh well, call it a learning experience and move on. I may fix it at some point but the only real reason to do so is for vanity-sake.

Here is what it should look like, not a prefect mate but much better…

I added a t-nut and 3/8in bolt for a leveler on the rear foot. Nothing fancy, just makes life easier with an uneven garage floor. So now I can tripod and then use this screw to locate the 4th foot.

The twin screw is back together. I flushed the top with the bench top. Here you can see the mounting blocks and leg flushed as well as the carrier pins.

The end vise:

I think I will make an oak chock for it out of the mistake chock from the twin screw. Maybe later, I am going to use this one for a bit longer first. Here is a birdseye view of the end vise dog holes stretching the entire bench. I can handle up to just over 9ft boards between the dog holes, that should hold me for now.

Remember that sand used for the top lamination??

That is mass that we can use. Put it in tubs so it doesn’t continue to leak sand in the shop. Then put those tubes on the shelf.

Instant 200+lb to the bench. It is pretty good without it, but that mass really anchors the bench and gives it a rock-solid feel. Only dissadvantage I see is that you have to remove the tubs to move the bench around the shop. No biggie.

Parting shot, smile and wave…

Time log: 41 hours

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

9 comments so far

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13347 posts in 3093 days

#1 posted 01-12-2009 05:40 AM

Nice workbench!

View JustBuildStuff's profile


5 posts in 2848 days

#2 posted 01-12-2009 07:41 AM

The bench looks incredible and I am sure many more incredible projects will be built upon it.
Thanks for taking the time to post about it.

-- Kurtis, North Dakota

View Tomcat1066's profile


942 posts in 3216 days

#3 posted 01-12-2009 11:59 AM

Good job Doug! Thanks for sharing this with us :D

-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!

View dsb1829's profile


367 posts in 3047 days

#4 posted 01-12-2009 04:39 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. I am glad that you were able to follow along on this project. It was fun to be able to share the victories and the errors associated with the build.

I will be sure to post the final glamour shots over in the projects forum once I get a couple coats of shellac on the thing.

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

View PurpLev's profile


8523 posts in 3068 days

#5 posted 01-12-2009 05:20 PM

nice bench!

you can always replace those sand-bags-in-crates with tool drawers later on which will anchor the bench with it’s weight – and also make great use of that space under the bench – plus, you’ll have your hand/other tools close by when needed….

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View dsb1829's profile


367 posts in 3047 days

#6 posted 01-13-2009 07:49 PM

I will get a tool cabinet of sorts under there eventually. For now I gotta get back to working on furniture. Thanks for reading along.

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

View Quentin's profile


47 posts in 3566 days

#7 posted 01-15-2009 07:19 PM

Nice blog! I loved reading it and I’m very jealous of your workbench!

View trucker12349's profile


92 posts in 2905 days

#8 posted 01-16-2009 06:38 PM

Why not replace the sand bags with a few bags of kitty litter so you have a spill material handy. I recently had someone spill a half can of stain and used the litter to clean it up. I had a long talk with me, myself, and I, but no one will own up to the spill, lol

View dsb1829's profile


367 posts in 3047 days

#9 posted 01-16-2009 06:48 PM

You really should do something about those shady caracters horsing around in your shop :-)

Kitty litter cleanup storage. Hmmm, not a bad idea. I picked up the sand to help with the lamination of the top, so I already had it. That’s the only reason I used it. I don’t really need the extra mass, but since it is paid for and would just be taking up room around the house somewhere I put it to use.

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics