Okay, so another 8hr day in the books. Again I am humbled by what I can get done in a day. And again I see that a better plan would have taken a lot less time to accomplish the tasks I did today.
Well, the day started with some remorse over yesterdays hasty apron glue up and lumber sizing. I had intentionally left the aprons proud of the bench to flush trim. This isn’t normally a problem on a light duty bench. But for this weekend warrior bench I have to flush trim aprons that are 1.5-1.75in thick. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have a bearing bit for my router that can handle anything over an inch.
Ever hear of out of sight out of mind. Well, out came my new friend the scrub.
It made short work of getting rid of about 1/8th inch of material. It does leave a carved up mess behind, so I ran clean-up with the No4 and a No78. In the end we are sitting pretty despite a few hacks along the way.
Here I am laying out the top stretcher. It will through bolt to the bench top. One benefit of mdf is that I can bolt the table down with little regard for seasonal movement. I did drill out the clearance holes a couple sizes big for wiggle room, but I don’t think it is going to be necessary.
My high tech lumber ripping jig.
No really, that’s it. No need to get stressed out. Just draw a line. Put a rip blade in the skill saw and follow that line. If you have a steady hand this actually provides decent results. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I get straighter rips on these 9ft boards this way than on my tablesaw.
Lots of pocket holes. I ended up using 8 screws per leg.
This may be overkill, but it was easier than trying to figure out a middle position with my 2-hole kreg jig. I just set the jig to the outside edge and drilled 2 holes, move it to the other edge and drop 2 more in. While I was drilling I dit the holes for the top mounting as well.
Glue up. I am not a fan of glue and screw. Usually things go sliding all over while the screw drives in. Not this time.
Between the Kreg geometry and utilizing some parallel clamps things stayed right where they were supposed to.
And a parting shot.
Again, I am pooped. I managed to find time to round over the feet. I still need to chamfer the bottom edges. Overall things are looking good. Tomorrow I should be able to bang out the lower shelf and mount the end vise. Maybe if I get froggy I can get the twin screw planned out.
Time log: 18.5hr accumulated (this is starting to look like a bit much to bite off for a single weekend)
I should mention that all lumber for the legs has been surfaced and squared. I had intended to use rough and only clean up the joinery, but I am a neat freek and just couldn’t handle it. Also joinery becomes a nicer subject with s4s lumber. I cheated a bit more today. For the most part I got away with minimal hand flattening and skip planing to clean things up. Since all my parts are under 30in skip planing the 9ft boards yeilds pretty flat boards when it is trimmed down.
So yet again my vanity has cost me time. I also had an hour long run to the HW store for the screws and vise hardware. My other time sink today was sharpening planes and opening up the mouth on my No5. The No5 kept getting clogged. It does much better now. I am actually considering opening up one of my No4’s as well. Since adding Hock irons the mouths are a bit tight for all this rough work.
-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama