I should refer to this entry as “more work than I had anticipated”...
I put in close to an 8hr day today and about all that I have to show for it is aprons around the mdf, a bit of new knowledge, and a few mistakes. I will run through this step by step. Again for the most part this is a keep it simple bench. There are other ways of doing most everything here. I am just going to lay out my method here.
The first hurdle of the day was figuring out how to deal with my rough cut, slightly cupped, lumber. Check installment number 2 of the series for the details http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/dsb1829/blog/6852
I decided to dovetail the side aprons. Well, let me say that I am not the first nor the last to cut my tails the wrong direction. So I went with plan-B.
This was a fairly quick recovery. My rabbit and shoulder planes got a good workout.
After letting the glue cure I double checked the mortises to make sure they were absolutely flush with the sides of the MDF. Then onto the side aprons. Glued and clamped. Those Bessey K-body extenders do come in handy when things get long (the 50in clamps don’t hurt either). I used additional clamps to draw the side aprons into the front apron.
The rear apron is nothing fancy. I didn’t even bother to surface it’s outer face. Maybe if I get bored some day, but for the most part this side of the bench will be against a wall or only pulled out far enough for use. No overlapping joinery, just face glued to the mdf and but jointed on the ends. I used my block plane to trim it to length.
That’s a wrap for today. I am pooped, but I had fun, used lots of my tools, tuned my new miter saw and my planer infeed, and learned a few things along the way. Without the errors, tool setup, and a solid game plan the work I did today could likely be done in half the time.
Time log: 10.5 hours compiled so far.
-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama