Since this project is mostly for practice, with no deadline, and I want to end up with a really high quality piece of furniture, I have decided to first make the project in poplar for practice in the techniques I am expiramenting with, as well as to work out any bugs in the design. I figure that poplar is relatively inexpensive, readily available, and hard enough to turn, mill and generally work like whatever hardwood I choose for the final piece.
Today I turned the legs, I have never turned a set of legs before, and thought it would be challenging to make them match. I have turned pens, bowls, urns, tool handles, and singel replacement legs, but never four to match. I was actually surprised how easy it was for me to make the legs. turning the first one is basically freehand, though I did follow a dimensioned drawing, any small mistakes can be corrected, and the dimension change is just worked into the design to be copied to the others, and after the firs leg was done, I had a good idea of how to make the cuts, and a good feel for the roundover radius, etc. so the others are much easier. so, here’s the legs