Took another stab at it this evening after work. I found some clear pine I decided to use since I didn’t have any more good poplar scraps. The pine seemed to be more difficult to saw, like it was gumming up the small teeth of the saw. Chiseling seemed to go ok though. The results are acceptable again, but not as good as I would have hoped. Sawing the pins seems to be the most difficult part for me right now. I did however, try something a little different tonight. As I was scribing my tails onto the pin board I clamped my tailed board down instead of just tyring to hold it by hand. Obviously this didn’t make the difference tonight, but I think it definitely made it easier.
I also tried Mikes suggestion http://lumberjocks.com/stefang/blog/13049#comment-557460 on how to fix my day 2 attempt. I did not spend a lot of time on this but it definitely helped. This technique along with some sanding dust and I would be pretty satisfied.
The quest continues….
-- Aaron in TN -http://www.amwellsfurniture.com