Some time ago I picked up this tool chest with the idea of using it in my shop. I put some caster on it and put some tools in it. It never seemed to fit, and I continually had issues with it.
One of my biggest complaint was the flat top. It was just to handy to set things on it. I could guarantee the minute I needed something out of it, there would be a freshly finished project, half a dozen hand planes or 200 pounds of crap on top of it, so it just kind of sat not being utilized.
As you can see from the picture it also had a plywood wrapped top. Something I’ve wanted to change since the day I bought it, but I decided I wasn’t going to do anything until I figured a way to work it into the shop.
It also has some trays that are not original, so between the top and trays already altered, I really don’t mind altering it to fit my needs.
It wasn’t all bad though, it had some features I liked
And after seeing Brandon Dutch Tool Chest I started to form some ideas on how to make this better, so yesterday I set out to do just that.
After removing the cover, I tried to remove the ledge that the cover sat on, but I’m pretty sure its glued along with nailed, so I decided the banding I removed around the plywood cover, will sit on top the existing ledge to cover the seam for the new top extension, leaving a center band around the box. It will also help hold the new extension in place. (I haven’t really decided on a fastening system yet, we’ll see how it goes)
I started with some rough sawn poplar. Its not going to match, but I don’t have any pine, and nothing is going to match anyhow.
So I got to use some planes, some scrapers, my nifty new marking knife (Thanks Dave!), and did some dovetailing.
Hopefully you can see where its going. Comments and ideas welcome. My vision is still a bit fuzzy.
-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)