As I stated in the first part, there are several ways to connect the sides of an infill to te sole. In this plane I’ll try my hand at dovetailing.
There are numerous videos, instruction and blogs about cutting the dovetails. I suggest you watch them all. I am pretty sure I did.
For the woodworking folks around here, the layout isn’t really any different than wood. Add some layout fluid, and use the same tools you use for a drawer. A straight edge, layout guide and dovetail marker all work. I used 12 degrees.
I cut the sides first, then the bottom.
On this plane I cut the hole for the mouth into a solid piece. I will not do that again. I’ll make the sole in 2 pieces.
Lay out all pieces, at least roughly before cutting anything.
Once you have the sides laid out, cut as much as you can with the hack saw or bandsaw. A good metal blade in a sawzall should work as well. Then file away. Pay attention to your lines, and make sure you use files with a safe edge were required.
I made a angle piece of wood as a guide for the bandsaw. I cut as much as I could from all angles. The very outside cuts of the bottom I made with a hacksaw to keep accuracy.
Once the sides are cut, scribe the bottom. Cut them out as well. I kept the sides with me all the time to match up.
I constantly put thing together to test it. The was a design as you go project. Also keep the parts marked. You need to constantly remark because the marking wear off quick.
Next I marked out the side pattern and cut it on the bandsaw.
Then put it back together again.
I then cut the holes by placing the sides together. I had a problem with this and wound up moving the hole. When I cut the dovetails I wasn’t concerned about them being exact from side to side. That wasn’t an issue other than it moved the hole on one side when I lined it up. When you drill through, make sure you’ve got a good reference.
Then I filed the secondary bevels. This is to allow for the lock to work in all directions. Its the same angle as the primary bevel.
Next I made the peening rack.
And took to peening. I wound up using the largest peening hammer I had. It was a combination of the hammer and a large punch.
I also added a mouth extension. (more pics to come)
And of course I had to try it.
I apologize for the lack of pictures. More will come.
-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.net