So I started to discover, this thing is heavy, so mobility will be needed. A set of flippable casters were in order. One set on the back was enough. I can easily lift the front and move it around now, when the wheels are down.
Lifted up on the wheels here:
And flipped so the sander sits flat on the floor here:
I also did some musical chairs with electric motors today. My brass wire wheel was on a 1 hp Northern Hydraulics motor. I switched that out for the fine wire wheel, so the course is not on the 3/4 hp, the fine will go on the 1/6 hp (i need to pick up a 1/2” shaft adapter) and the 1 hp is now on the sander.
The 1 hp is really going backwards, so I’ll need to figure out if I can reverse it, or it will once again get switched out sooner or later. For the time being, its just a matter of which end the board go through.
I’ll get some paper ordered later. I think that’s about all I need.
I thought I’d add a cost in here as well.
-I had the motor, but you may need to figure that cost.
-The wood was wood I cut, so no direct cost.
-I think I paid $4 for the casters at a flea market
-I had the blast gate and plenty of 4” hose on hand. I did purchase a quick connect below. This will get moved around a lot.
5/8” Bearings ebay 2 at $5 each
5/8” rod at tractor supply $15
velcro converter and hook and loop sanding belt at grizzly $3r4
On/Off switch from Grizzly $13
4” quick coupler at grizzly. $3
About $8 in bolts from Home depot.
I still need to pick up a few misc electrical supply’s, boxes, wire etc.
Adding the sand paper
I should note, the kit from grizzly is more than enough velcro for this first installation and one more, plus some additional velcro. Same with the 80 grit paper
And the results
I started with this rough sawn pine. I don’t plane on using it for rough sawn, but thought it would be a great test.
And after a few passes
And I flipped the board to do it again.
and again, its coming out nice.
I tried on a few other pieces playing around. It actually seems to work better than I anticipated. I tried some ash and oak and didn’t see much difference. The dust collection seem good as well. So far I think the 1 hp motor will be ok.
I also discovered another nice thing about the design. The motor I used runs in the opposite direction as the one I tested with. At first I was going to just live with it, but decided to flip everything around. Well that only took a few minute. Just move the spacers, slide everything over and flip the motor around.
thanks for following along.
-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)