I purchase this saw in a pile of stuff. The goal was to restore it and use it. Here is how I did it.
This is how it started.
I took it apart and covered it with rust remover. I haven’t been able to find evaporust locally. I’ve tried Tractor supply and home depot, along with a few other spots. Here I used Rustoliem rust remover. It really doesn’t work all that well. Once I use it up I won’t buy it again.
Next was off to the wire wheel. I tried the fine wheel I typically use, but it wasn’t working very well. I switched to the course which worked much better. After the rust was removed I switched back to the fine and did it again.
Once that was cleaned, I sanded using 220, 320, and 500 grit. I tried to not hit the teeth with the wheel or the sand paper.
I then gave it a coat of Fluid Film. (This stuff is great for preventing rust)
Next came the brass nuts. I wire wheeled them using the fine wheel, then buffed.
The emblem took and extra step.
A small fine wire wheel and a light touch did the trick.
Next for the handle. I had not noticed the crack before. It had to be fixed. Using a clamp I spread the crack. It wasn’t cracked all the way through, and I didn’t want to make it worse.
Rubbed some glue and forced it into the crack. Clamped it and set it off to the side. Back to the plane restoration for a while.
Once the glue was dry, I sanded the handles. I started with 120, then 180, 220, 320, 500. The I applied BLO with steel wool.
Put it back together and tested to see how bad it needed sharpening. Believe it or not, its still sharp. Its a user.
Tomorrow it will get another coat of BLO.
-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)