Well, my sand blaster finally arrived and I managed to find some “shop” time to see how it worked. The plan was to test it out on the Stanley #8 I managed to win off of eBay. I paid about $28 for this, so I am hoping for the best.
I setup a temporary booth for the sandblaster.
And then off to the sandblasting. I used screened play sand. It worked fairly well. I had occasional clogs, but nothing that was too bad. It would be interesting to know if black buety or some other real sandblasting media would work better.
This is the results:
I then hit it with the wire brush to clean the final tough spots.
This resulted in this
So now on to painting. Again I use Dupli-color Engine Enamel DUPDE1635 Ford Semi Gloss Black. I usually re coat with Gloss about three or four times waiting about 20-25mins between each coat.
Note: when paint dry’s it shrinks some so what you see is not what you get. Make sure your painting on a near level surface as paint will run and sag as it’s so thick.
You should also note you cannot re coat if you wait longer than about 1 hour. If it starts to set up the fresh paint will cause the semi dry paint to peel and curl up. If you need to repaint the can says wait 7 days.
I flatten the sole using my typical method of setting sandpaper on the table saw top.
I flatten the frog to make sure it has good contact with the iron.
I had already sharpened it.
I sanded and polished the sides.
This is the final results:
Hope it helps
-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)