I found this Stanley #6 in a flee market. I paid a whopping $10 for it. This is my first restore blog, but not my first plane restore. I’ve learned a little, and need to learn a lot more. So here it was:
I haven’t totally figured out my way of doing all of this, so sometimes I try several different ways. To flatten the sole, I start with sandpaper on my table saw top. If it looks like its going to take a lot, I move to the Ryobi sander, then back to finish on the table saw.
To get rid of the rust, I tried vinegar. That works great on some things, but its to inconsistent. Electrolytic seems to work but usually takes over night. I’ve also used wire brushing and rust and paint stripper to some success.
I filed the frog flat, but usually don’t worry about getting it polished, just flat. Sharpen the blade and cap. I give the sides of the bottom, the iron, cap, and adjusting screw a coat of clear lacquer. The tote and knob gets sanded and 3 cotes of shellac.
All screws get a good shot from a fine wire brush.
Here is what it looks like today:
Note the handle was missing a piece, so I added a piece of wenge. I didn’t have a piece of rosewood.
To polish the adjustment screw I chuck it in the drill press. I will usually progress grits from 100, 180, 220, 320, 500, 600, 800, and 2000 to give it a little shine.
I’ll go into more details in future articles. I just ordered a sandblaster, so I’ll see how that works. I’m working on a #8 I just got off ebay now, but may not get back to it for a while.
Back to working on the drawers for my bench.
-- There is nothing like the sound of a well tuned hand plane. - http://timetestedtools.wordpress.com (timetestedtools at hotmail dot c0m)