This is my first box with miters on the corners. I’ve built several boxes before, but always just but-joint and nailed them. Sounds primitive but that is the look I was going for at the time. Here’s all the pieces laid out for assembly:
And then here is is clamped up
I’ll be using this to do Victorian Era Impressions, so I put appropriate hardware on it.
I had made a groove on the inside of the box before I glued it together to aid in cutting off the top. I cut another groove on the outside just below it and then used a utility knife to complete the cut. The resulting fit of the top is just perfect
Now I have to decide how to finiish it. It’s all pine so there’s the risk that a stain would come out blotchy. I’m thinking of using milk paint, federal blue, and then walnut oil. But even that can be funky on top of pine. Hopefully I’ll have it completed this weekend.
-- Don, Royersford, PA