I finished the outfeed extension for my tablesaw over the weekend. I used all cutoffs, no new wood here I’m trying to keep the cost down. So far I have $250.00 spent on the saw but it was a package deal. There was a 10” Delta mitersaw in the deal too. The only cash spent for the upgrade so far was for a pair of Stanley braces used for the exstension support and a couple gate hinges for the folding legs. The piano hinge was given to me, lucky me. T-nuts and screws I already had. I would have like to have made the extension a little wider to match the top of the tablsaw but that would of meant cutting some full sheets of plywood and I’m saving that stuff for paying customers. My goal here is to get has much tablesaw as possible for the least amount of cash spent.
I added a fixed portion to the table top across the back over the motor. On this part of the extension the legs are fixed and braced to support the folding section. The legs and bracing are screwed and not glued so I can take it apart later if when I move it to a new shop. The folding section is held to the fixed section with a piano hinge and supported in the down position by the steel corner braces. I didn’t want the folding section hanging by the scerws in the piano hinge.
The saw top was just over 10 sq.ft. before adding the extensions. With the folding top in the up position now I have a little over 27 sq.ft. Total cost, less than $20.00 plus time to build.
Well my next improvement is going to mean opening up the wallet. I want a bigger and better on/off switch mounted higher and closer to the front of the saw. The fence works fine, I’d like a newer one but I hate fixing what’s not broke. Still there is a jig I want to make that fits over the fence so I might sight that has reason enough to get a new one.
Any suggestiions for more improvements would be appreciated.
Here’s the fixed section attached to the tablesaw.
The out feed table fully extended.
This is the steel corner brace mounted to the fixed section shown with folding section in the down position.
I didn’t want the screws in the piano hinge bearing all the weight of the folding section when in the down position.
Here’s how I keep the folding legs from falling when I raise the folding section.
I also made four blade inserts from some 3/4” birch plywood that I found cleaning up the shop. The original insert had been modified to accept a dado so I needed something with a little tighter fit. It’s a shame too because that thing must weigh 4-5 lbs. Because I used the lighter plywood I had to make a way to secure the insert to the saw. I overcame this with clips that I made from a metal framing stud giving me something to scerw the plywood insert to. I made inserts for my other tablesaw years ago and so far I have only used four of them. I change the insert everytime I set the saw to a new angle.
This is the insert that come with the saw.
This is a picture of the clips installed.
This is one of the clips made from the metal framing stud.
Here is the plywood insert screwed to the clips. I used a skilsaw to open up the slot a little.
-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with