LumberJocks

A new home #5: Why I have been too busy to be on here. Obviously, more results.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by derosa posted 04-17-2014 06:51 PM 1006 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Really good progress, looks like the kitchen has a window, maybe a ceiling. Part 5 of A new home series no next part

Between losing part of a job, a toddler, a at the time 8 month old and having to move twice life has been too hectic to be on here. Not to mention the 7 months it took to get DSL, 4 of the 5 telephone poles that surround our house has service going to them but the one that feeds power to our house didn’t. On top of that there are a limited number of available spots on the service to keep it from being too slow out here. But now that things have stabilized, I once again have a shop space, internet service and some spare time I figured I could start posting again. The house has been progressing nicely, I last left off with the back wall partially done. It now looks like this

Moving around to the side

Turns out the underlayment was repurposed siding, only about a 1/4” thick and probably not in the best shape when it was reused a 100 years ago. Ladder just went through the wall in spots. Had to redo the whole side of the house with OSB.

But the results were worth it.

The other side of the back was relatively drama free, changed the style of the bathroom windows but that was it. The side with the twin windows has since been sided, on Sat I spent some time doing the area to the left side of the chimney. Windows were installed already but no siding. It is now half sided.

The front of the house was the worst, the porch really allowed things to get in there and rot.

Worst of all the 7.5”x7.5”x18’ beam that made up the front sill plate was destroyed and the floor joists ran parallel to it and so jacking the wall to remove it required improv.

And the front window install commenced, most of the front is sided except for at the top, just couldn’t get that before winter hit. The right side has matching windows to the left side. Biggest delay was the giant bees nest in the wall that required over a week to get removed completely.

Work on the inside has been progressing and will be covered in a later post.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse



5 comments so far

View sras's profile (online now)

sras

3934 posts in 1875 days


#1 posted 04-17-2014 08:18 PM

Nice to see the update! That’s is a lot of progress – hang in there!

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

View palaswood's profile

palaswood

818 posts in 497 days


#2 posted 04-17-2014 11:01 PM

I’ll trade you! I come work on your house, and you come sit at my desk…
Lookin good

-- Joseph, Lake Forest, CA, http://instagram.com/palas_woodcraft#

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3865 posts in 2114 days


#3 posted 04-18-2014 12:30 AM

Good progress.
All we can do is move forward and it looks like you are doing that!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View isotope's profile

isotope

27 posts in 370 days


#4 posted 04-18-2014 10:43 AM

Wow! You are giving new life to that house. I’m impressed. Great job.

View NormG's profile

NormG

4510 posts in 1750 days


#5 posted 04-20-2014 12:21 AM

That is really great to see such progress, the foundation just looks completely different after the updates to the walls

-- Norman

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase