It’s been about 2 weeks since the last posting and things are progressing at a reasonable pace despite the weather. Next on the agenda was moving into the kitchen area. My wife, Marjory, decided to lend a hand for a couple hours. This is the south wall we’re starting on.
This is the outside view; the covered window on the right side was covered way back and is behind the cabinets. It was poorly filled in and about a dozen assorted bird skeletons were pulled out of it. The other window was a later addition for which studs were cut out leaving only 2 intact studs in the entire kitchen wall.
During the tear out I made a happy discovery, turns out the original ceiling was tin and when it was previously covered over it was done without destroying the ceiling. You can see the framework that was created to mount the new ceiling to with the ceiling above.
I took the expedient method of cutting all the joists on one end, standing carefully in the gap below and yanking the whole thing down around me, worked well. We’ll be carefully pulling down the tiles, most appear un-rusted so they’ll be chemically stripped. Hopefully we can put them back up as part of a boxed in ceiling, if not they’ll become the back splash.
Next up was framing it out, this resulted in lots of arguments with my father who “knows how to frame a window” and couldn’t understand why I would use a pair of 2×12s for the header or need double jack studs on a 7. We didn’t get much accomplished due to the constant bickering and then the arrival of the rain storms that lasted for 2 days. Except the basic frame which required pounding the jacks in from the bottom. The lack of studs had allowed the middle of the wall to sag quite a bit so based on the measurements of the two remaining studs we used that as our height, set the header on a pair of leaning jacks and hammered them in. The big problem was the header pushing the bow out of the top plate above.
Since the rain cleared up I decided to head out this morning and work solo. This involved taking down more of the old siding around the right corner so tar paper could go up around the corner and siding corners put up around them.
This meant I spent a good portion of the day putting the plywood sheathing around the frame, putting up tar paper, and then setting up my new pump jacks.
The pump jacks are on clearance at Lowes if you need them. I paid roughly 325 with tax for 4 jacks, 8 braces, and 2 workbenches, just need to order 2 guardrail fences.
I’m not gonna lie, solo loading a 7’x4’6” onto the platform was not a fun time or easy, the window originally took 3 people to unload but I moved carefully and got it jacked up into position.
Really wished I had the guard rails while moving back and forth, also came to understand why the lower braces are so necessary. Due to the stone foundation I didn’t have a pair of lower braces which would have been in the way getting up to the window, due to the location of the window I had the first brace 14’ up, didn’t make for the most stable feeling. Once the first row of siding is truly on I’ll unhook it and have a lower pair of braces for added stability.
Here’s the window in place from the inside
And here is where I finished off the day. The one pole is only kicked over to make room for the ladder to put up the corner piece. As you can see all the siding trim will be in white while the siding is cape blue. Unfortunately work gets in the way, 2 days at the bike shop followed by a church function on Sat and an expected family appearance for father’s day. If the weather if favorable on mon or tue I’ll get the siding up past the windows and get those two above replaced with 2 bigger ones and one smaller one. If it doesn’t stop raining then I’ll run electrical in the side entrance way and tear out the east wall of the kitchen to install the door and window there.
There was a couple blessings for the month that took out most of my spending money so no extra siding is on the way. Marjory discovered a counter installed stove top exactly like she wanted for 360.00 take home cost, original price was 1399.99; had 3 small scratches in the back left corner from being the display model. We also picked up a brand new 95%+ efficiency 100,000btu furnace for 550.00 of craigslist. My FIL was a HVAC guy for a living and checked it out, just a damaged box item that was in perfect shape minus a couple of small dents in the side.
Also had one funny/sad commentary story. Marjory went to the post office to get the address number and find out where to put the mail box. The woman behind the counter was “so happy to hear that there’s someone living in there again”. It’s funny that she thinks that the place is remotely livable but sadly there are worse places local to it that people actually live in. Well, that’s where I’m at for now; thanks for reading if you made it this far.
-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse